Friday, March 27, 2015

You Can Mumble Your Way Right Out of Employment Consideration

Have you heard the new "Mathnasium" tutoring school radio commercials where students of various ages laud the school for helping them get better grades?

The first student sounds like a little 9 or 10 year old girl, who clearly and powerfully announces, "I LOVE coming to Mathnasium."

That's followed by two teenage girls, who also speak clearly and eloquently  about the reasons they attend Mathnasium.  "I want to be best in class," explains one.

Why they chose to include the last student, I can't figure.  Her valley-girl mumbling is almost indecipherable as she blurts out something about "My parents @#%@%@% ask me hey how'd you get an A on that test...?  I say I go to Ma#^#^##^#^."  Sounds like her parents really needed to send their daughter to Speaknasium, instead of Mathnasium.

Perhaps, this young mumbling student gets a pass for her age, but I have to tell you that mumbling is a chronic problem for many jobseekers in their twenties, thirties and beyond.  In fact, it is also quite apparent that leaving clear and understandable phone messages for and speaking properly with employers is a real problem for a lot of job applicants.

I can't tell you how many times job candidates call or leave me messages starting off with blurting out their names so fast and garbled that there is no way of me telling who is calling.  PLEASE, help yourselves by making sure you speak clearly and slowly into the telephone, especially when it comes to letting the person on the other end, who is calling; for what reason(s); and how you can be reached to return the call.

Furthermore, if you are calling a company recruiter to follow up on a resume you may have submitted (sometimes, many months ago) or even after a recent quick and casual meeting, please give some thought to that person possibly not remembering you, since he or she meets and speaks to dozens of job seekers each day.

Believe it or not, I get two or three phone calls daily that go something like this: "Hey Marc! This is Fr@#@%@% (no last name given) what did you think of my resume?"  Like his or hers was the only resume I received that day!?!  Sorry. At least, give me a hint as to who you are and for what position you are applying BEFORE you get into the "I'm your newest best friend" speech that inevitably follows.  I love meeting new people and care about and respect everyone I meet, but this "too familiar" stuff really makes it difficult to discuss possible employment in a professional way. Slow down when you speak and don't think you can "just add water" and a lifelong friendship will begin between recruiter and applicant that will lead to a immediate hire.  It can't and it won't.  Slow down. State your name and job interest clearly each time you call employers first time and every time.  And, don't try to act "too familiar." because you are clearly not - not yet.

Be aware that mumbling also sends the wrong message about you as a person.  It is accepted by most that mumbling is the talk of lazy people, who seem too tired to want to bother expressing themselves articulately and with a conviction of words.  "Blah, blah, blah" is more than just a way of talking, it is also a signal of lack of energy. It is also disrespectful to the listener, who struggles to find out who you are and what you seek from him or her.

Speak clearly and with authority if you want to be heard and seen as an impressive communicator and serious employment candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment